I just don't get the Labour party of today. In John McDonnell there is a totally respectable challenger to Gordon Brown. In response to the market led Thatcherite approach of Brown and Blair he wants a change of direction, one based on empowerment and democratisation of society. This seems totally reasonable to me. Yet it is unlikely he will get the necessary nominations from his Parliamentary Labour Party colleagues to force an election. You have to ask what's happened to the PLP. Stick a Labour MP on a soap box and you will undoubtedly be subjected to a tirade of anti - Thatcherism. Yet their own party are pursuing exactly the same agenda.
In conclusion 1, they are either so stupid they don't know what their own leaders are doing or 2, they are trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes.
Thatcher always said her proudest achievement was New Labour. Guardian columnists bizarrely like to claim that Blair's greatest achievement is Cameron's Tories. The Tories have just gone back to their traditional centre right ground, Blair and Brown have just nicked their spots.
It comes to something when Peter Hain is described as a 'libertarian socialist'. This is the man that presides as a Governor General over Wales and gerrymandered the electoral system in favour of his own party. He has voted for a disastrous war in Iraq and regressive policies such as the marketisation of public services.
What are Labour MPs scared of? Surely the membership of the Labour party should decide the next leader of the party
Political boffin, keen fisherman looking forward to retirement.
- New Welsh Index Blog
- The Deep Irresponsibility of the Lib Dems
- The Deal the Lib Dems Jibbed - Judge for yourself
- What's the Point of the Lib Dems?
- Time for Rhodri to Deliver 2
- Time for Rhodri to Deliver
- Aelod Seneddol Llafur o Gymru yn cefnogi Ffioedd D...
- Has Rhodri Got the Authority to Deliver a Deal?
- Huw Lewis Throws Second Leadership Punch?
- How Right Wing Are the PLP?
- Miners Knee Compensation
- PFI – The fleecing of public money
- Gordon Brown a Friend of First Time Buyers?
- How the Assembly Electoral System Favours Labour
- Brown for Britain!
- Does Rhodri Have the Guts to Secure a Legacy?
- Shock Horror No Tory Led Coalition
- Great Night for Plaid
- Plaid to win Swansea West and Neath?
- Rhodri's not having a good election
- ▼ May (20)