I've finally got the will to blog again after the election count. What a fantastic result for Plaid, up three seats and we achieved the top of our ambitions. For the London parties it was a disaster. Labour with their worst result since the First World War, if that doesn't constitute a bad result then what does, were spared humiliation by reckless briefing up during the early stages of the count by the Tories and Lib Dems. When their expected gains didn't materialise, all the sudden it wasn't that bad for Labour.
The Tories are facing crisis, they have lost by far their biggest electoral asset in Glyn Davies - the only politician who could credibly carry off their triangulation attempts v Plaid. Instead they have some right wing nutcases like the new member for Clwyd West. I'm sure political opponents can''t wait to start debating against and getting him to open his mouth - The return of the nasty party is inevitable. Despite all the hype the Tory breakthrough failed to materialise.
The Lib Dems are in open warfare. What did they expect from an election strategy based on the ego of their leader and his wish for a ministerial car?
Plaid stopped the rot with some outstanding wins in Llanelli (Helen Mary's near 4,000 majority is testament to what Plaid can achieve in every part of Wales) and Aberconwy. Some near misses in Carms West, Clwyd West and Caerphilly.
Carms East as always produced an amazing result for Plaid - nearly 9,000 majority in a seat consisting of 2 industrial valleys. Looks like Adam Price will now have to get over the 10,000 majority mark in the next General Election - that's what I call healthy competition!
For me Neath was a great result, a 7% swing to reduce Labour's majority to less than 2,000. My prediction we won the election day voting is probably right.
Political boffin, keen fisherman looking forward to retirement.
- New Welsh Index Blog
- The Deep Irresponsibility of the Lib Dems
- The Deal the Lib Dems Jibbed - Judge for yourself
- What's the Point of the Lib Dems?
- Time for Rhodri to Deliver 2
- Time for Rhodri to Deliver
- Aelod Seneddol Llafur o Gymru yn cefnogi Ffioedd D...
- Has Rhodri Got the Authority to Deliver a Deal?
- Huw Lewis Throws Second Leadership Punch?
- How Right Wing Are the PLP?
- Miners Knee Compensation
- PFI – The fleecing of public money
- Gordon Brown a Friend of First Time Buyers?
- How the Assembly Electoral System Favours Labour
- Brown for Britain!
- Does Rhodri Have the Guts to Secure a Legacy?
- Shock Horror No Tory Led Coalition
- Great Night for Plaid
- Plaid to win Swansea West and Neath?
- Rhodri's not having a good election
- ▼ May (20)