The Tories in all probability will be the largest spenders come May. David Cameron has amassed a massive war chest with private donations of £17m over the last year.
How has Cameron gone about rebuilding Tory finance? The Guardian reports yesterday that old fashioned dinners and dances have been the key to success. A sliding scale of patrons clubs offer access to different tiers of the Tory leadership. The Leaders club, and a dinner with Cameron will put you back £50k per annum. Nice to see to the Tory Leader keeping to his man of the people image! The average household income in Wales isn’t even half that sum, which means not many people in Wales will be having lunch with the Tory leader.
The Guardian reports claims the key appointment of Aurelia Cecil as head of fundraising. Cecil is a member of the upper echelons of the ruling class. Cecil apparently knows how to run a good party and has brought the fun back into being a Conservative. She is a former girlfriend of Prince Andrew. I guess you can work out the sort of people Cecil has been inviting to her parties.
The relevance for the Assembly elections of course is that the Tories in Wales do not exist as a separate accounting unit. Their campaign will be funded from Tory HQ in London. Nice to know the sources of the funding the Tories will be using over the next 9 weeks to buy Welsh votes.
Political boffin, keen fisherman looking forward to retirement.
- Blair to go May the 2nd
- Tories and the Welsh Way?
- More Labour Negative Campaigning
- Plaid Manifesto Launch
- Labour’s latest Insult to Welsh Workers
- Plaid on the Move
- Lib Dems Election Gaffe
- Bank of England and Government Began Debt Crisis o...
- Labour's Can't Deliver their Main Electin Pledge
- Ian Titherington blogs
- New Labour and the Politics of Fear
- Miners Compensation - the Great New Labour Lie
- Da iawn Cymru
- Plaid to win Swansea West?
- Labour Block Steelworkers Compensation
- Windfall Tax on Bank Profits
- Global Warming & Trident – The Great Contradiction...
- Tim Criced Cymreig
- Trident 2
- Prescribing Diamorphine (Medical Heroin)
- Private equity Firms - There May be Trouble Ahead
- Ieuan V Rhodri
- Civil Service Job Cuts
- Labour Dirty Cash 5 - Enter the Fall Guy
- Rhodri Morgan to Join Plaid?
- Blair to Announce Exit on May the 4th?
- Tory Funding
- Real Terms Pay Cut for Nurses as City Bonuses hit ...
- Clymblaid Glas-Coch
- ▼ March (30)