If anyone needs any confirmation on the cynical dealings of this Chancellor and the Bank of England look no further than the admission of the former Governor of the BoE, Eddie George, that the Monetary Policy Committee deliberately created the fiscal climate for hyper inflation in the housing market and record unsecured debt.
The reasoning is quite obvious, a few years into the newly elected New Labour Government, the UK economy faced recession which was the commonplace in the rest of the Eurozone and the US. Needless to say a recession within the first few years of a newly elected Labour government would have been disastrous for the party.
In a cynical move to boost consumer spending, the Bank of England clearly led by the Treasury, dropped interests rates to stimulate mortgage and credit card borrowing. There was a double whammy of course as property prices rocketed, house owners eager to access equity in their homes borrowed and hence spent more.
Before Labour apologists start harping on about the ‘independence of the Bank of England’ the whole scam was compounded by the decision of the Treasury to change the way inflation was calculated from a more broad based formula to one based on consumer prices. This means that official 'inflation' in the UK has remained low which has sustained lower interest rates and fuelled the borrowing frenzy.
The result is clearly unsustainable, personal unsecured borrowing in the UK is remarkably over £3 trillion. House prices are totally out of proportion – with first time buyers priced out of the market.
It really has been a case of haves and have nots under Labour. There has been wealth redistribution, but from people without property to those lucky enough to own their own homes.
Just goes to show the skewed priorities of Labour – most people in the UK are up to their neck in debt, yet city bonuses have reached record levels.
Correction in the economy is inevitable, inflation is currently on the rise and interest rates will have to follow. The Chancellor knows the economy is living on borrowed time, especially since things aren’t looking to clever across the Atlantic. No wonder he’s in such a rush to get to number 10.
Political boffin, keen fisherman looking forward to retirement.
- Blair to go May the 2nd
- Tories and the Welsh Way?
- More Labour Negative Campaigning
- Plaid Manifesto Launch
- Labour’s latest Insult to Welsh Workers
- Plaid on the Move
- Lib Dems Election Gaffe
- Bank of England and Government Began Debt Crisis o...
- Labour's Can't Deliver their Main Electin Pledge
- Ian Titherington blogs
- New Labour and the Politics of Fear
- Miners Compensation - the Great New Labour Lie
- Da iawn Cymru
- Plaid to win Swansea West?
- Labour Block Steelworkers Compensation
- Windfall Tax on Bank Profits
- Global Warming & Trident – The Great Contradiction...
- Tim Criced Cymreig
- Trident 2
- Prescribing Diamorphine (Medical Heroin)
- Private equity Firms - There May be Trouble Ahead
- Ieuan V Rhodri
- Civil Service Job Cuts
- Labour Dirty Cash 5 - Enter the Fall Guy
- Rhodri Morgan to Join Plaid?
- Blair to Announce Exit on May the 4th?
- Tory Funding
- Real Terms Pay Cut for Nurses as City Bonuses hit ...
- Clymblaid Glas-Coch
- ▼ March (30)