Congratulations to the BBC for highlighting Labour's inability to meet its main election pledge. This blog has long argued that the powers to eradicate child poverty are primarily the preserve of Westminster i.e control over taxation and benefits. With an impartial third party in Barnados vindicating that position, i wonder what the likes of Huw Lewis and Peter Black who have attacked Plaid on this issue have to say.
For our part in Plaid we will use the powers of the Assembly to make as much of a contribution as possible to the fight against child poverty. Our universal affordable childcare pledge will make a substantial contribution as will our pledge on free school meals. However until we have responsibility over fiscal policy and the benefits system to be able to redistribute wealth we are honest enough to admit that this issue can not be dealt addressed within the remit of the Assembly's powers.
Shame on Labour therefore for basing their election campaign on a promise they know full well they can't deliver.
Political boffin, keen fisherman looking forward to retirement.
- Plaid Win youtube battle
- NH Yes – More like ‘End the NHS’
- Labour send for the Cavalry
- BNP Election Pledge – “Plaid to hang if we win pow...
- Taflennu'r Ceidwadwyr
- Is there such a thing as Blairism?
- Huw Lewis Throws First Leadership Punch
- Plaid Youth Website Launched
- Labour Election Strategy Torn to Shreds
- The UK a Tax Haven – International Monetary Fund
- Plaid Win in Abercynon South
- Labour's Child Poverty Pledge Exposed
- There May Be Trouble Ahead
- Gwellhad Buan i Grav
- Plaid Election Broadcast - Episode 2
- Labour Poll Meltdown
- Yet More Fib Dem Duplicity
- Rhodri Abdicates Responsibility for NHS
- £7k Tuition Fees Coming to Wales?
- Martin Shipton - Labourn Election Strategy Based o...
- Tory Health Record in Wales
- Rearranging the Deckchairs on the Titanic?
- The First of Many?
- The Fib Dems are at it again
- BNP Target Plaid
- Plaid Setting the Agenda
- Croeso i Gymru Tony
- Bogus Poll Ynys Mon
- Who will take over from Rhodri?
- Election fever.....in Scotland
- The Worst Ever Election Website?
- Labour Election Strategy in Complete Shambles
- Plaid yn Lawnsio 3'ydd Poster
- 'Uninspiring and Clueless' - Labour
- ▼ April (34)